Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Week 8, Things 18, 19

Loved the idea of being able to create documents and spreadsheets without being confined to a computer with a word processing package! This would allow me to have templates available wherever they were needed. There was a nice varied assortment of templates to use and the toolbar seemed user-friendly on Zoho Writer as well. I set up accounts in both Zoho Writer and Google Docs. I liked the calendar feature and shared ability with other users. My oldest daughter is getting married next year and since she lives three hours away, we could share and update the guest and to-do lists. In the library it would be great to let patrons know of this feature for those times when the computers that have word programs are already taken-it will be interesting to see if this would be a good alternative for them.

I looked at several sites on the 2.0 awards list and finally settled on exploring Craigslist which was found under the classifieds and directories category. I liked that it divided MD into western MD and the eastern shore region, this made my search more easily relevant to the area I was wanting to locate items in. It was like a basic classified directory and I used the job search feature (can you tell daughter #2 recently finished college?). I liked that it gave the city location of the jobs posted, this can behelpful to someone hoping to work in Frederick as opposed to farther down the road. I liked the category breakdown for finding items and that it highlighted my previous searches. Directories, like this in general, can be helpful to patrons who need to find something in a particular location.

I spent loads of time looking at many of the sites on the list and hope to return there to get a better handle on them and how they work. But now, I am getting "brain fried" and could use some refreshments...hmm...what's the ingredients in that fruity drink my daughter makes? Dare I look at build a cocktail site? Was it called a hurricane or a bay breeze? (I'm home & have spent 4 hours on all of this! I really need to stop & have lunch!)

1 comment:

Pint-size Bookworm said...

Glad I'm not the only one who took a look at the cocktail site. ;)